Please note: This is a fan forum and is in no way connected to Vision Forum Ministries and/or The Institute for Creation Research.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

JP The Behind the scenes Tour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Peachey Keen

PostSubject: JP The Behind the scenes Tour   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 pm

You may or may not know that JP is celebrating it's 10th anniversary this year. And to help celebrate, Vision Forum is making some special behind the scenes/documentary episodes to complement this big event.
I found the album that will hold these new eps on Christianbook.com here.
I'm sure going to get it. What do you guys think of this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave

PostSubject: Re: JP The Behind the scenes Tour   Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:17 am

Okay, I finally got around to listening to this album over the last few weeks, and it was pretty good overall. I'm not sure if six albums of JP warranted a three-hour documentary on the series (and there were times when it seemed to drag a little), but I did enjoy hearing from the cast and crew (especially the crew). Two observations...

First of all, it was a little disappointing that some of the interviews were poor quality. In some cases this was understandable, like when they interviewed people no longer involved with JP, but in others it wasn't. Surely Doug Phillips could've been given a high-quality microphone than the one he got, and could they not have waited for a recording session to interview the actors rather than have them on the phone? Some of the interviews were almost of bad enough sound quality that they shouldn't have been used, IMO.

Secondly, one of the most interesting parts (although possibly a bit too in-depth or rambly, IMO) was part three, "The Winds of Change," which details the handing over of JP to Vision Forum. I had always wondered about why JP went from Institute for Creation Research to VF and how that change occurred, and this completed satisfied my curiosity. The most interesting change in how JP was created was that originally Jonathan Park (and his family and friends) were going to grow up on the show, but VF requested that the kids be kept at the same age. Which made me go, "So VF's the ones responsible for that!" I really dislike that no one ever ages on JP--it just doesn't make sense, especially since the show is chronological (that is to say, the family does one thing, remembers what that thing was, and builds on it in their next adventure) and often takes into account real-life events (for example, they could go to the birthplace of Darwin in 2009, a year celebrating his birth--but if Jonathan is 12 in 2009, then how old was he in 2000?). And the thing is that JP doesn't need to change if the kids were to get older, because Jonathan could have his adventures at any age.

So, the album was an interesting look into everything you could possibly want to know about the history and making of Jonathan Park. It's very thorough--we even get to hear from past actors, like those who played earlier Jonathans. I do wish that they had included the 7-minute making of video in this set (the five parts of the audio special could've been put on to three discs, still leaving room for an interactive CD-ROM feature on one of them or for a bonus CD-ROM or DVD).

But should you buy it? Really depends on how big of a Jonathan Park fan you are. Apart from the occasional clip, there's no edge-of-your-seat excitement like you get from the six adventure albums and no deep scientific discussion. And if you're going to pay $19 for it (although I got it for $14 on sale), then you'd better be a big JP fan because that's a lot of money to spend on a behind-the-scenes documentary when you could get a whole album of audio drama for the same price.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peachey Keen

PostSubject: Re: JP The Behind the scenes Tour   Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Wow for an album that doesn't include a story you sure went all out on the BTS album. I agree that the interviews were low-quality but it didn't bother me much.

But it's great to see you on here Dave! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JP The Behind the scenes Tour   

Back to top Go down

JP The Behind the scenes Tour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1